For Christmas 2012, I set myself the task of not buying any new decorations. My frivolous festive follies are known to go OTT. But wanting a woodland Christmas theme meant using only some of what I already had in storage.
I also had a stack of cheap red felt and more spare shirt buttons that I have shirts. So necessity plus buttons and felt said one thing to me: Mushrooms.
First, I drew the template for the two parts of a mushroom – stem and cap. I then cut the caps from two stacked pieces of the red felt, and the stem form a single, heavier piece of off-white felt, and a loop from some glittery red string.
Sewing the buttons to one red cap piece, I then pinned all of the elements in place (this is a no-brainer really: loop at the top, caps back to back and stem tucked between the two cap pieces.) As I ran the sewing machine around the cap, I left a tiny opening through which I stuffed filling, finished the sewing and strung up the new woodland decorations on snowy white branches for all the woodland creatures to admire.